Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Now I'm REALLY Confused


Had a visit today from a technician named Kari Gronvold of Gentech Engineering Inc. of Salmon Arm.
She indicated she didn't know a commercial facility existed here.

She stated she was doing a survey on providing domestic water connections to residents along Buchanan Road, including the Coldstream Ranch.

Before I get into an explanation of WHY I'm confused, here is the blank questionnaire she gave me on leaving, after she had taken copious notes following my answers to her questions.

Click on pages to enlarge:





Where my confusion began was with the questionnaire's second sentence, which reads:

"The RDNO is looking to separate the existing
 agricultural raw water from the
treated water supply by twinning the mains."
(underscoring by blog author).
 

Existing agricultural raw water?
Huh?
 
That hasn't been available on Buchanan Road since chlorination occurred at Duteau Creek Water Treatment Plant.

We used to have raw irrigation water here (I think that ended some time in the late 90's when all the water on this street had been chlorinated).  Raw water was available in the early years of our property ownership (since 1975) firstly through the Vernon Irrigation District (VID) and then through the North Okanagan Water Association (NOWA).  Then GVW took over with the dissolution of the Greater Vernon Services Commission...and many residents believe that's when common sense died an agonizing death.

On reading the questions, I believe this questionnaire is only for those residents of Lavington/East Coldstream whose water is diverted (prior to entering the Duteau Creek Water Treatment Plant) and supplies their farm irrigation with raw water...but not domestic water.

"A new domestic water service will be planned
beside the existing irrigation/domestic service.
If a different location
 for the service connection is required,
 please indicate the approximate location...".  Gentech questionnaire


I have no idea how much raw water is diverted from DCWTP, nor do I have any idea how many customers in that area have no treated water for domestic use...and therefore, no domestic connections.

So here's the puzzler:  The questionnaire concludes with  "A new domestic water service will be planned beside the existing irrigation/domestic service.  If a different location for the service connection is required, please indicate the approximate location...".

Huh? 
Since the big water main on the south side of Buchanan Road delivers treated water and serves most of Vernon and the BX/Spallumcheen as well as filling Goose Lake with chlorinated water, how can "existing agricultural raw water" be separated from the treated water supply at all on Buchanan Road?

And one question, in particular, raised my ire and got me on my soapbox:
"Does your current service(s) meet your daily demand?  (I replied during the technician's visit that my professionally designed irrigation plan, submitted during the development permit application stage in 2000/01, cannot today adequately water my property because of the water conservation measures that GVW has imposed (even/odd numbering for watering days, no watering Mondays at all).  Why?  "Cookie cutter rules" that don't take into account site-specific things like slope, aspect, winds, etc.)

I also used the opportunity to show the technician the sign on the clubhouse wall:




So...why the questionnaire?
It likely confuses all of Buchanan Road's residences, who have had domestic (treated) water for a long time. 

So why would they want a new (second) domestic connection now?
When we're already getting domestic (treated) water, and don't have raw irrigation water any more!





"It's probably a case of GVW bureaucrats not advising Gentech Engineering of who actually is on raw irrigation water," suggests Kia.


They likely gave Kari Gronvold the wrong map!

That's likely why...
Same old, same old!



 

3 comments:

  1. http://www.rdno.ca/docs/2009_lavington_separation_report.pdf

    This might be part of the proposed lavington separation plan proposed in the master water plan referendum. (19.5 million)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall meeting with you on your patio. I left you a blank questionnaire because you asked for it, but i took 3 pages of notes on your site-specifics with me on your original questionnaire.

    I never authored the questionnaire, nor did I design the Separation Project. I was a Technologist approaching 100+ addresses to get feedback from owners for planning purposes. I was aware you are commercial and gave you a friend’s name who golfed there. There are so many inconsistencies about our meeting in your article. I spent 45 minutes at your address.

    If you have a problem with the questionnaire or with a Lavington Separation Project, take it up with Gentech or RNDO. Please refrain from this defamation of me and my Professional Title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...

    "...defamation of me and my Professional Title."

    If you'd re-read the blog article's conclusion(s), you'd realize GVW's bureaucrats were my target.
    That they likely gave Gentech (and you) the wrong map (of an area that was already separated and had only chlorinated water).

    It was my impression then--and now--that Greater Vernon Water wasted your time.
    And ultimately, my tax dollars.

    ReplyDelete

Share YOUR thoughts here...